By all accounts, spring will begin with a weekend full of beautiful weather. What better time for a family outing at the N.C. State Fairgrounds? With hundreds of events each year, the fairgrounds offers a variety of activities to choose from, and some of the more popular shows have a decidedly cultural flair.
The India Fest Cultural Arts Showcase will take place in Dorton Arena Friday through Sunday. This festival has grown in popularity and size since its first year at the fairgrounds in 2004, expanding to a three-day event, and will kick off tonight with a live dance and music show featuring Bollywood singer Shreya Ghoshal. The activities continue throughout the weekend with cultural cuisine, traditional crafts in a Bazaar-style atmosphere and more than 1,000 stage performers.
Over the next few weeks, the fairgrounds will host several other multi-cultural events including the Chinese New Year celebration (rescheduled from January), the Turkish Festival and Lebanese Festival. And later this year visitors can enjoy the Cinco de Mayo Celebration, La Fiesta del Pueblo and the Greek Festival. New shows are added all the time, so check out the Fairgrounds’ calendar of events to learn more.
To show that there is really something for everyone at the State Fairgrounds, check out the other events also taking place this weekend:
- Bead & Mercantile Show, Saturday and Sunday, Kerr Scott Building
- Capital City Gun & Knife Show, Saturday and Sunday, Expo Building
- NC Diocese Ignited By Truth Conference, Friday and Saturday, Jim Graham Building
- Coastal Paws Cat Show, Saturday, Holshouser Building
- Raleigh Indoor Spring Classic “A” Hunter Jumper Horse Show, Friday through Sunday, Hunt Horse Complex
- Raleigh Flea Market Saturday and Sunday throughout the grounds