Throughout the week, our Facebook fans have submitted suggestions of challenges Cowbelle and I, Jane Deere, could complete at the fair. Ideas ranged from eating fried frog legs and learning from Wacky Wheeler to playing the Fool the Guesser game and milking cows. The final idea, given by the Deep Fried Crew, was to take to the fairgrounds looking for every freebie we could find.
Fair Freebie Challenge rules were as follows:
- We had to leave and return to the Press Office within one hour exactly.
- No golf carts or other transportation could be used to manevuer the grounds.
- Interns had to stay together.
- Photo documentation had to be provided for the freebie to count toward the final score.
- Stickers and food samples were worth 1 point
- Other items were worth 2 points
- Items that involved action (signing up for things, completing quizzes) were worth 5 points
Cowbelle and I started off in the Kerr Scott Building, sampling muscadine slushies, peanuts and Neese’s livermush. From there, we walked through the Commercial building to weigh ourselves for free, get more stickers and a free back scratcher.
We headed quickly to the South side of Dorton arena to sign up in the Ford Drive One tent for a free koozie. We also got motorcycle helmet stress balls from the Bike Safe N.C. tent. We were also able to pick up tree seedlings from the Forestry exhibit and buttons from the N.C. Wildlife exhibit.
When all was said and done, Cowbelle and I racked up 72 points. We sampled 16 different foods, found 14 stickers and got 13 giveaway items from exhibits and tents on the fairgrounds. My favorite giveaway was getting my official weight at the NCDA&CS Standards Division booth in the Commercial and Education Building. Cowbelle’s favorite was the peanut butter Amish fudge found in the Hobbies and Crafts building and the variety of buttons at the N.C. Language and Life Project booth in the Kerr Scott Building.
Rushing around the fairgrounds on a busy Sunday afternoon added to the challenge. We made it back to the press office with no time to spare and really full from our fudge and other food samples. Challenge complete!