Come celebrate the first weekend of spring at the fairgrounds. We’ve got a variety of events:
- The Raleigh Flea Market is Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Commercial and Education buildings and surrounding grounds. Come explore the hundreds of booths filled with antiques, clothes and handcrafted goods this weekend. Or, if you’ve been doing a little spring cleaning, rent a booth and sell some of your unwanted stuff. Information on booth rental is available at the flea market’s website: raleighfleamarket.net.
- Kennel Club Dog Show runs Sunday in the Graham Building. This is a championship purebred AKC event. Registered dogs will compete each day in championship dog shows, obedience and rally trials. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission on Saturday and Sunday is $5 for adults, and $2 for kids ages 7-12 and senior citizens. Children under 7 are admitted free. Different Kennel Clubs host competitions each day:
Wednesday – Cary Kennel Club;
Thursday- Alamance Kennel Club;
Friday- Durham Kennel Club;
Saturday- Raleigh Kennel Club;
Sunday – Fayetteville Kennel Club.
- Equestrian Exchange Consignment Sale runs through Saturday in the Holshouser Building. This is North Carolina’s largest equine item consignment sale. It offers the opportunity to buy and sell any equestrian tack, saddles, show clothing, barn supplies, horse-wear and riding needs for all disciplines. Anything related to the equestrian sport is represented at this sale. Special premier shopping night is Thursday, March 22, from 5 to 10 p.m. for $10 per person. Ages 12 and under are admitted free. There is free admission Friday through Sunday. Hours are Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday will offer discounts on unsold merchandise.
- Carolina FiberFest runs Friday and Saturday in the Scott Building. This family-friendly event draws fiber enthusiasts from the surrounding area and beyond for featured classes, free demonstrations, and shopping for yarn, ready-to-spin fiber, patterns, tools, accessories and specialty items. A schedule of events is online at www.CarolinaFiberfest.org. Hours are Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is free.
- Raleigh Antiques Extravaganza runs through Sunday in the Exposition Center. The event features more than 125 exhibitors, from Florida to New England, featuring quality antiques and old collectibles. Hours are Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $7 per day or $8 for a weekend pass. Ages 12 and under are admitted free.
- The Professional Firefighters and Paramedics of NC presents “1964 The Tribute” at Dorton Arena on Sunday night. The band choses songs from the pre-Sgt. Pepper era, the concert recreates an early-60’s live Beatles concert, with period instruments, clothing, hairstyles, and onstage banter. The event is an annual fundraiser for the Professional Firefighters and Paramedics of NC. Admission is $30, and tickets can be bought online or beginning at 4 p.m. on the day of the concert. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., and the show will begin at 6:30 p.m.