Since April is National Nutrition Month, we wanted to share some healthy, easy recipes that anyone can make for any occasion.
You can head over to choosemyplate.gov for tons of healthy recipes, how to eat healthy on a budget and to make your own cookbook of your favorite healthy dishes.
This lemony chicken pasta dish is sure to be a family favorite. Packed with protein and topped with crunchy almonds, it can be prepared and served quickly any night of the week.
8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
1 tablespoon tub margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
20 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
5 green onions, sliced
1 clove large garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/3 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup skim milk
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne in a saucepan; gradually add chicken broth and skim milk, stirring with a wire whisk until smooth.
2. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add mustard and lemon juice. Allow to cool.
3. Heat margarine and oil in a skillet. Add chicken pieces, green onions and garlic. Sauté until chicken is just firm and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Prepare pasta according to package directions and drain. Combine sauce, chicken and pasta mixture.
5. Put into a 2 ½-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with almonds, chopped chives and paprika (if using).
6. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until heated through.