Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and nothing says “I love you” like alfredo. Finding the perfect restaurant for you and your significant other can be difficult. Skip the stress and surprise your person with a delicious home cooked meal!
This Fettuccine-Asparagus al Burro is the perfect dish for a romantic, candle-lit dinner. Use local asparagus, cheese and parsley for an added local flavor! Local ingredients can be found at any of the four N.C. Farmers Markets; N.C. State Farmers Market, WNC Farmers Market, Charlotte Regional Farmers Market or the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market.
This dish pairs well with a glass of Pinot Noir or, for white wine drinkers, a crisp glass of Chardonnay. To keep with the local theme, wineries such as Shelton Vineyards, Cabo Winery and Biltmore Estate Winery offer delicious red and white blends.
So, put on romantic music, light the candles and let’s get cooking!
- 1 pound fresh thin asparagus
- 4 to 6 ounces thick pancetta slices, diced
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toppings: shaved Parmesan cheese & freshly ground pepper
- Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut diagonally into 1 to 5 inch pieces.
- Sauté pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp; remove from skillet.
- Cook fettuccine and asparagus in boiling salted water. Cover and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
- Melt butter with oil in skillet over medium heat; add hot cooked pasta, asparagus, cheese, parsley, ground pepper and salt.
- Toss to coat, adding enough reserved pasta water to make a glossy sauce.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with pancetta.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Recipe from: Southern Living